Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office, according to a police statement. Officers also carried out searches at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk as part of the investigation.
Although authorities did not name him directly, they confirmed that a man in his sixties remains in custody. Mountbatten-Windsor marked his 66th birthday the same day.
Police emphasized the need to safeguard the integrity of their inquiry, noting the intense public attention surrounding the case. They said updates would be provided when appropriate.
Unmarked police vehicles were seen outside Sandringham in Norfolk, where Mountbatten-Windsor has been staying since leaving his residence in Windsor.
Allegations Linked to Past Role
The arrest follows recent reports suggesting Mountbatten-Windsor may have shared sensitive documents with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein during his tenure as a UK trade envoy.
According to reporting by the Financial Times, emails appear to show that he discussed plans to help broker an $8 billion oil-related financial arrangement involving foreign entities. The exchanges reportedly began while Epstein was under house arrest following his 2008 conviction for soliciting sex from a minor.
Royal commentator Craig Prescott of Royal Holloway, University of London described the situation as one of the most dramatic falls from grace in modern royal history.
Former policing commentator Danny Shaw told the BBC that suspects are typically held between 12 and 24 hours before being charged or released pending further investigation. In exceptional circumstances, detention can be extended up to 96 hours with approval from senior officers and a magistrate. It remains unclear exactly when Mountbatten-Windsor was taken into custody.
Shaw added that he would be held in a standard custody cell with basic facilities and would not receive special treatment.
Palace Responds to Growing Pressure
Earlier this month, Thames Valley Police confirmed it was assessing allegations related to misconduct in public office. The development prompted Charles III to express concern and state that Buckingham Palace stood ready to support authorities.
In October, the King removed Mountbatten-Windsor’s royal titles and asked him to vacate Royal Lodge, located within the grounds of Windsor Castle. The move followed years of scrutiny over his relationship with Epstein.
Mountbatten-Windsor stepped back from official duties in 2019 after a widely criticized interview with the BBC in which he addressed his friendship with Epstein. He has consistently denied wrongdoing in connection with the financier and has not been criminally charged over that association.
In 2022, he reached a financial settlement with Virginia Giuffre, who alleged that he sexually abused her when she was 17. While no admission of liability was made, he expressed sympathy for her as a victim of trafficking. The settlement sum was not publicly disclosed, though reports at the time estimated it to be several million pounds.
Mountbatten-Windsor previously said he had no recollection of meeting Giuffre, despite a photograph showing them together alongside Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell.
Giuffre died by suicide in April at the age of 41 at her home in Western Australia. Her memoir, Nobody’s Girl, was released posthumously in October.

