A shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego has left three people dead, including a security guard who officials say likely prevented further loss of life. Police are now investigating the attack as a possible hate crime as they work to understand the motive behind the violence.
The incident took place on Monday morning at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the Clairemont neighborhood, about eight miles north of downtown. Officers responded to an active shooter call at around 11:43 a.m. and arrived within minutes. They found three men dead outside the mosque.
Authorities said one of the victims was a security guard working at the center. San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl described him as “heroic,” saying his actions likely stopped the situation from becoming even worse. Officials said he played a key role in protecting people inside the building.
The Islamic Center, which describes itself as the largest mosque in San Diego County, confirmed that teachers, students, and staff inside the building were safe during the attack. Police also responded to nearby areas after reports of additional gunfire blocks away.
In a separate incident nearby, a landscaper reported being shot at but was not injured. This raised concerns that the attackers moved through the area during the unfolding situation.
Investigators later located a vehicle less than a quarter-mile from the second scene. Inside, police found two teenagers believed to be responsible for the shooting. Authorities said both suspects died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
Law enforcement officials identified the suspects as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18. One of the teens was a high school student who attended classes virtually and was expected to graduate later this month.
Police said the investigation began earlier in the day when the mother of one suspect contacted authorities. She reported that her son, a firearm, and her vehicle were missing. She also told police that her son was acting suicidal and might be with a friend. Officers were trying to locate him when the shooting was reported.
Officials said the mother also mentioned both teens were dressed in camouflage clothing. This information helped investigators connect the early warning call to the unfolding emergency.
Police Chief Scott Wahl said “hate rhetoric” is being examined as part of the investigation. Authorities are reviewing possible writings found in the suspects’ vehicle that may contain anti-Islamic content. Because of this, the attack is being treated as a potential hate crime.
The motive has not yet been confirmed. Investigators are still analyzing digital evidence, written materials, and background information related to the suspects. Officials have not released the note reportedly left by one of the teens.
Leaders at the Islamic Center condemned the attack, calling it a shocking act of violence against a place of worship. The mosque’s imam said the center had never experienced a tragedy like this before and called the attack “outrageous.”
The shooting occurred on the first day of Dhul Hijjah, one of the most sacred periods in the Islamic calendar. Community members said the timing added to the emotional impact of the attack.
The Islamic Center announced that it would remain closed until further notice as investigations continue and security measures are reviewed. Authorities are urging the public to avoid speculation while the case remains under active investigation.
Police say they are still working to piece together the full sequence of events, including how the suspects traveled to the location and what may have influenced their actions. Officials have promised further updates as new evidence becomes available.
The case remains under investigation as a possible hate crime, and federal agencies are assisting local authorities in reviewing all available evidence.

